LOOSE BAND OR BRACKET
The seal created by the cement (glue) has been broken. Call our office and schedule an appointment. If band and bracket detaches from wire, save it and bring it with you to your next appointment.
BROKEN ARCHWIRE OR HEADGEAR, LOST LIGATURE OR HOOK
These problems could cause the teeth to shift in the wrong direction and must be corrected as soon as possible. Call our office and schedule an appointment.
That's the term for a wire that sticks out and causes irritation. Try tucking it in with the eraser part of a pencil. If that does not work, dry it with a napkin and place wax over the wire to prevent further sticking.
To relieve soreness, rinse your mouth with warm salt water and/or take Advil or Tylenol as directed.
- Bracket - The attachment bonded to the tooth or welded to the band.
- Archwire - A large removable wire that fits around the arch into the bracket slots.
- Elastic Ligature - Plastic ring that ties archwire into bracket.
- Ligature Wire - Tiny wire that ties archwire into bracket.
- Hooks - Used to attach elastics (rubber bands).
- Band - A ring of metal with the bracket attached that is glued onto the tooth.